Sunday, February 19, 2012

Winter Break.....Visit Awesome Libraries at Detroit!


I really enjoy coming to the library. Last week I visited Baldwin Public library localized in Birmingham. The children area of course!!! was one of my favorite places. I liked to observe how the staff members were helpful and some were extremely creative in helping moms locate books, crafts, magazines, and information on great programs for kids. Also, I enjoyed watching how children love story times, meet other children, play computer, play with puzzles, puppets and blocks. That was a great time for me visiting Birmingham library.
Here are some of its events and registration is required. Log on http://www.baldwinlib.org






We are so fortunate to have our libraries

Also I would like to share with you some information about activities that can help you stimulate your child's interesting in reading:
  • Talk with your infant or young child before he learns to read. Talking with your child before he/she even speaks will help him/her learn important language skills
  • Read to and with your child at least 30 minutes each day. Your child will gain awareness of the conventions of reading (left to right, top to bottom), and even the very young will gain vocabulary
  • Sing songs and recite poems and rhymes that have repetitive sounds. Repetition makes it easier for your child to pick up on the patterns in the sounds you make
  • Make sure your child's day care provider, nursery school teacher, or preschool teacher reads aloud daily and offers books for your child to look at
  • Model good reading habits. Help your child understand that reading is important by letting him/her see your reading maps, books, recipes, and directions
  • Visit your local library. While you are there you can sign your child up for preschool story time and let her/him choose some books to take home
For more information you can log on this site:   
http://parenting.kaboose.com/education-and-learning/learning-resources/how-can-encourage-my-young-child-to-read.html

Spanish Words
         Library             Biblioteca
  Book                 Libro
                 Computer         Computadora
      Puppets           Titeres

I would love to know your opinions about the importance of encouraging our children at libraries 


Los veo la otra semana!!  (I'll see you next week!!!)




5 comments:

  1. Libraries have so much to offer no matter what your age or interest. The library is a special place to encourage growth in our children. I appreciate the fact that I can take my children (ages 3-8) to the library and each will find somethig to keep them engaged for quite some time. Just as one child begins to outgrow a certain area, level of book, or story time; a whole new world is opened up as they move to a new level of reading, a new age group for story time, etc. The possibilities are endless at the library!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie for your beutiful comment. Library is a special spot for everyone.

      Delete
  2. When I was young I went to the library every weekend. They have great events for young children as well as teens. I always loved to go to the library and spend hours reading my favorite novels. I study at Starbucks in the evening once in a while but it is so loud in there. I wish the public libraries were open later on weekdays and weekends. I really enjoyed reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simply Positive for your comment and I enjoy a lot reading your blog too. Library is a special place for each one of us.

      Delete
  3. I love this site; it's so springy and full of sunshine!!!

    Okay, I'm not really a kid and I don't have kids, but I too love the library :-)! At times when I need to get out of the house I go work on projects at the library and in addition to it being relaxing, it's very nice to watch all the kids that utilize the services of libraries. And despite the progression in technology, I hope libraries continue to be a part of children's (and adults lives). :-)

    ReplyDelete